As the result of numerous meetings and behind-the-scenes discussions last week, the U.N. Security Council finally decided to intervene in the Syrian crisis by sending troops in on Monday to get a precise count of all the dead bodies, international media reports.
“We have waited long enough for the Syrians to get their act together and properly count their dead themselves,” said Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in a statement demanding international action in Syria.
“It seems that the death toll is now too much for them, and that they need help with that, so we had to get involved much earlier than we had planned,” the Secretary-General explained.
“This whole action took a lot of hard work and all of our resources. The most difficult task was removing all the duplicates, since we had a list of 59,648 individuals killed between the start of the uprising on March 15, 2011, and Nov. 30, 2012,” said Navi Pillay, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights.
“In each case, the victim’s first and last name, as well as the date and location of death had to be listed. Killings in December pushed the number of fatalities past 60,000″ the Commissioner added. Mr. Pillay added that the task was made even more difficult by the existence of civilians who were on verge of dying but hadn’t quite succumbed to their wounds, in which case “they had to wait several days in order to properly list them as ‘victims of war’.
After helping Syria to record the precise number of dead bodies, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said that the U.N. plans to deepen its involvement with Syria in the future, beginning by “helping to pick out colors for the funerals and counting the exact number of bullets used per civilian casualty.”