- The Dangote group has announced the sack of 109 of its workers
- The group said the workers were sacked from the Obanjana Cement Company in Kogi state
- The affected workers were said to have committed different offences including reckless driving, stealing company property among others
The Dangote group on Tuesday, December 6, announced the sack of 109 of its workers at the Obanjana Cement Company in Kogi state.
Speaking to journalists, the coordinator of Dangote's patrol team, Abdulahi Magaji said the 109 workers were sacked after they were found guilty of various offences.
The News agency of Nigeria reports that, those sacked were among 244 suspects arrested between May and November.
Magaji said the sacked workers include erring drivers, some owners of illegal haulage and others who have stolen the company's property.
He also said that 115 of the company's workers have also been remanded in prison pending the determination of their cases in different courts.
Magaji added that some items including five stolen trucks were recovered in the process.
“It is interesting to note that one of the kingpins, Samaila Yakubu, who specialised in stealing our trucks in collaboration with some drivers and buyers, has also been arrested.
“It is this group that has been terrorising our trucks in the South East and South South axis,” Magaji said.
He said the president of the Dangote group, Aliko Dangote had earlier ordered that misconducts among drivers be reduced.
“We have pasted warnings clearly on the cab of all our trucks prohibiting carrying of goods and passengers apart from company’s products.
“We are calling on the law enforcement agencies to support the efforts of the Dangote Group in arresting those who break the laws of the company,’’ he said.
He further said the patrol team have succeeded in reducing road accident within the Dangote group fleet.
He also said more measures would be put in place to reduce road accidents.
The suspects - three of them - allegedly kidnapped and killed Gurama because he angered them by bring N5.6 million as ransom instead of N10 million as agreed.
The suspects who are Fulani herdsmen have been transferred from the Force headquarters in Abuja to the Special Anti-Robbery.